Powered By Blogger

Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Rock Movies I Love: Tommy


The first time I saw this movie I was 10-years-old. And it scared me to death. Ann Margaret covered in baked beans, Keith Moon "fiddling" a deaf-dumb-and-blind Roger Daultrey, Sistah Tina twitching like a strung-out junkie, and Elton John in his 20-foot-high platform shoes were the stuff of nightmares for this disco-loving child. It was all a bit too much for me. The next time I saw this movie, I was a 15-year-old high school freshman. I had expanded my musical horizons, having subscribed to Rolling Stone magazine for a couple of years. After reading a few articles on Pete Townsend and his band, I decided to check out the movie with new eyes. And I started to really get it. Going to a Catholic School - and an all girl one at that - I dug the bear-chested Tommy-as-Messiah running through the towning singing, "I'm Free." After taking a few art courses, I now how another name to describe Jack Nicholson singing and Oliver Reed in short pants other than "crazy White men": surreal. Yeah, Tommy really blew my mind and gives me a cosmic giggle. It is a rock movie I absolutely love.

No comments:

Post a Comment