Powered By Blogger

Monday, May 11, 2009

Rock Movies I Love: Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Heart's Club Band


I love the movie Sgt. Pepper's. Heck, only I - and probably Cameron Crowe - can make such a declaration. Why do I love this movie that has and continues to be universally panned by music and movie critics alike? Sgt. Pepper's has the distinct honor of being the very first rock movie I ever saw. I recall watching it one Sunday afternoon on television with a neighborhood friend. We roleplayed along with the characters on the TV screen. I played all the female roles, including "Strawberry Fields," and he was all the males (Frampton, the Bee Gees, etc.) - Remember, this was before we got cable television, VHS or Atari! Not only did watching Sgt. Pepper's provide kissing opportunities for me and my equally precocious friend, it introduced me to music titans Alice Cooper and Aerosmith and, of course, The Beatles. Before I saw Sgt. Pepper's, I had no idea who these acts were, and in my strictly R&B household, there was no other way I would have except from the movie. Make your Sgt. Pepper's jokes if you must. I agree it's no Citizen Kane. However, this movie in its unapologetically campy way expanded my musical horizons. For this, I am eternally grateful.

No comments:

Post a Comment