Powered By Blogger

Monday, May 4, 2009

Where Were You When You First Saw Nine Inch Nails' Video For Closer?


Gosh, I remember it like it was yesterday. I was having dinner with my Mom and sister at The Cheesecake Factory. I had just taken a bite of my chicken tenders and looked up at the TV, which happened to be on MTV. (I know this because the MTV logo was sitting firmly at the right of the screen.) That's when I first saw a dude in leather hanging from the ceiling as well as other daring images: black guy in a top hat holding what looks like a cow tongue, bald lady holding an antelope's skull to her head, the pig head on a typewriter, a little girl sitting provocatively across a chair, two women joined like Siamese twins by their hair, a group of old men in suits frowning their disapproval and what are they doing to that monkey? That black-haired guy wants to do what like an animal? I couldn't hear him because the table of dinners behind me drowned him out. "I want to *bleep* you like an animal." He repeated. Oh. My first reaction was to giggle. Mom acted like she didn't see it, and my sister, who was about 3 at the time, was understandably more interested in her french fries and ketchup. I asked Mom if she saw the video. "Saw what?" I guess that answered my question. Chicken tenders and french fries be damned I had just witnessed something extraordinary. Alas, I sat alone in my bemused state. I went to the record store the following pay day. I overheard a couple of employees talking about the video. I gathered the courage to ask the name of the song and group. It was from this coversation, I was introduced to Nine Inch Nails. I bought my copy of The Downward Spiral and never looked back.

No comments:

Post a Comment