Powered By Blogger

Monday, June 1, 2009

So This Is MTV These Days? Tragic.


I'm watching the MTV Movie Awards. Why am I watching the MTV Movie Awards? A very good question that I asked myself a couple of times when Michael Bay and Megan Fox - or was that Sasha Gray - walked out to introduce a clip from the upcoming Transformers sequel. This question became a continuous loop running through my head after I saw the commericals for MTV's summer shows: the new MTV "comedy" show Balls Out Comedy - which looks like Jackass on crystal meth - Paris Hilton's My New BFF, and the new season of 16 and Pregnant. At this point I became depressed. So this is MTV these days? It's as if a Category 6 hurricane of corporate greed and vapidness decimated the MTV offices, leaving pole-dancing bimbo-socialites and rejects from auditions for Juno 2 in its wake. The MTV of my youth (120 Minutes, Club MTV, Post Modern MTV, Headbanger's Ball, Yo, and Yo MTV Raps) is gone with the wind - to borrow a phrase. I always knew that MTV was a marketing tool for the music industry to promote their acts. I was fine with this because they did it with a quaint charm like holding contests for viewers to party with their favorite musicians. And the MTV shows back in the day like Remote Control were delightfully low-budget and funny. What passes for comedy these days on MTV runs the gamut from frat boys humping farm animals to frat boys riding bicycles into brick walls. Oh MTV! MTV! You've changed, and it's painfully tragic to watch like the crackhead who used to be my high school's homecoming queen. I hold out hope that an intervention is on the horizon. But I won't hold my breath.

No comments:

Post a Comment