Powered By Blogger

Thursday, April 30, 2009

How I Got My Copy of Nick Drake's Bryter Layter


The first time I heard Nick Drake was in the computer lab at school. Someone had left their copy of Bryter Layter in CD-Rom of the computer I was using. I quickly put the CD in my bag out of fear that the person who lost the CD would come back looking for the it. When I got home, I gave it a listen. I was floored by his voice, which has an earthy eloquence. In songs the "Poor Boy" and "At the Time of the City Clock," he reminds me of Ritchie Havens. (For the longest time, I thought he was African-American. I didn't have the CD cover. Imagine my surprise when I discovered he wasn't.) Songs like "Fly" and "Northern Sky" with their pastoral images transported sonically me to lush fields of lavender and thyne. Unfortnately, my Bryter Layter CD became of a victim of overuse. However, this CD - my introduction to Nick Drake's soul-stirring music - has never left my music collection. To the person who lost their Bryter Layer CD, thank you and now you know where it is.

No comments:

Post a Comment